Length: 5 days
A mariner who successfully completes the course within 1 year of application will satisfy the professional examination requirements of 46 CFR 12.401 (c)(5) for any national rating endorsement as Able Seaman (in lieu of Coast Guard examination).
This course covers the learning and practical objectives for a mariner to demonstrate continued knowledge understanding and proficiency of the minimum competencies for Able Seaman
As specified in 46 CFT 12.603(a), this course is open to mariners who:
1. Meet the requirements for an endorsement as a Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW). It is not necessary to hold the endorsement for RFPNW, but all training, sea service and/or assessments required for RFPNW must be completed before accruing the sea service forAS-D
2. While qualified as RFPNW have either 18 months of seagoing service in the deck department, or 12 months of seagoing service in the deck department with completed approved training.
3. Meet the standard of competence specified in Table A-II/5 of the STCW Code
4. Complete approved training for Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast
Rescue Boats (PSC) or Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Lifeboats or Fast
Rescue Boats (PSC-Limited)
5. Have current valid Basic Training (46 CFR 12.602)