Fast Rescue Boat
Length: 3 days
This course will satisfy the Training and Practical Assessments of STCW A-VI/2, Table A-VI/2-2 and all tasks in NVIC 014. This course is required for those individuals assigned to operate Fast Rescue Boats.
SEA SERVICE, TRAINING, AND DEMONSTRATIONS.
A. As stated in 46 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) 12.617, in order to qualify for an STCW endorsement for Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats, the applicant must:
1) Be not less than 18 years of age;
2) Hold an endorsement for Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats Other Than Fast Rescue Boats (PSC) or Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats Other Than Lifeboats and Fast Rescue Boats – Limited (PSC – Limited); and
3) Provide evidence of meeting the standard of competence specified in Table A-VI/2-2 of the STCW Code by successful completion of a Coast Guard approved or accepted Fast Rescue Boat course.
B. Continued Professional Competence:
1) To maintain an STCW endorsement of Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats, mariners must provide evidence of maintaining the standard of competence as set out in Table A-VI/2-2 of the STCW Code every 5 years as required by 46 CFR 12.617(b).
2) The Coast Guard will accept currently valid STCW Basic Training and onboard training and experience, through evidence of 1 year of sea service within the last 5 years, as meeting the requirements for continued professional competence.
3) Mariners who cannot meet the requirement for 1 year of sea service within the last 5 years are required to complete an approved or accepted Fast Rescue Boat course or approved or accepted refresher training.